Adriana F. SESTRAS
- Main fields of scientific interest:
- Plant Breeding – Horticulture, Forestry
- Scientific IDs:
- ResearcherID: C-1647-2012
- Scopus Author ID: 0000-0001-5768-4296
- ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0001-5768-4296
- Google Scholar/Academic: Adriana F. SESTRAS
Assoc. Prof., PhD – UASVM Cluj-Napoca
Assoc. Prof., PhD, UASVM Cluj-Napoca
Researcher – Fruit Research Station Cluj (Researcher – CS III; Researcher – CS; Assistant – ACS)
Date and place of birth: July 14, Hida, Romania
Marital status: Married with Radu E. SESTRAS, a son (Paul)
Diploma of Engineer (Diplomat Engineer, Horticulture)
Diploma MSc (Biodiversity and bioconservation)
Doctorate Diploma (Horticulture; Genetics and plant breeding)
Nine cultivars; co-author of six pear cultivars, approved ISTIS: Arvena, homologated ISTIS, 2007; Meda and Latina, homologated ISTIS 2009; Adria, Primadona and Transilvania, homologated ISTIS 2010;three apple cultivars: Silvan, Stefano and Somesan, homologated ISTIS 2010. All varieties are included in the Official List ISTIS (The State Institute for Variety Testing and Registration).
Papers elaborated and published:
Author/co-author of different scientific papers, mostly in plant breeding, ecology, horticulture, forestry.
Member of scientific and professional associations:
–Friends of Roses Association Romania, member, 1994
-Romanian Horticulture Society (SRH), Cluj Branch, member, 2006
–Horticulture and Forestry Society from Transylvania, founder member and secretary, 2009
–European Association for Research on Plant Breeding, member, 2006, administration number 2958
–International Society for Horticultural Science (ISHS), member, 2007, administration number 55262
Other skills: computer operation, statistical processing of experimental data.
Experience (including management experience) in other programs / projects of national / international:
|Using RAPD molecular markers to identify the genes that determine architectural ideotype of trees and disease resistance of apple, Grant CNCSIS, type A, code CNCSIS 752. http://184.108.40.206/GranturiFinalizate/||Member||2004-2006|
|Development of modern methods of exploitation of artificial variability in Pyrus communis: phenotypic selection complemented with assisted selection of genetic markers (Bulk Segregant Analysis technical), Grant CNCSIS, type A, code CNCSIS 848. http://www.cncsis.ro/2007/Finantate_noi_2007/A/COMISIA_5_A_NOI_FINANTATE.html||Member||2007-2008|
|The counterpoise of genetic erosion risk due to the narrow hereditary stock in apple and pear cultivars and the avoidance of their vulnerability to stress agents by the increase of genetic diversity, Grant PNCDI2, Program 4, Partnerships, Nr. 1177. http://www.cnmp.ro:8083/pncdi2/program4/documente/rez_final/D5-final.pdf||Responsible project||2007-2010|
|Creating hybrid populations to prevent genetic erosion and widening of the selection to produce new pear varieties useful for sustainable agriculture, Grant PNCDI2, Program 4, Partnerships, Nr. 1216. http://www.cnmp.ro:8083/pncdi2/program4/documente/rez_final/D5-final.pdf||Responsible project||2007-2010|
|Recurrent selection and marker assisted selection applied on interspecific apple hybrid populations, to create ornamental cultivars and identify resistant genotypes to diseases attack, Grant PNCDI2, Program Idei, Nr. 1105/2009.http://www.cncsis.ro/PNCDI%20II/Idei/2008/Exploratorie/Prop_finantare/Proiecte_propuse_spre_finantare_domeniul_21_5A.html||Member||2009-2011|
|Collection, maintenance and use of indigenous genetic diversity for integrated strategies useful for breeding programs in fruit tree species. ADER 1.1.8. (ASAS – ADER 2020). http://www.slideshare.net/ader2020/ader-118-11961241||Responsible project||2011-2014|
Diplomas and medals:
- International Saloon of Inventions PRO INVENT, Cluj-Napoca, 1-4 April 2008;
- Excellence Diploma and Golden Medal, obtained for new pear cultivar ARVENA.
- Regional Fruit Competition, September 5, 2007 SCDP Bistrita:
- One Gold Diploma for pear (with selection Cluj 72-12-3);
- Two Silver Diploma for pear (with selections Cluj 72-19-11 and Cluj 1-2-12);
- Two Bronze Diploma for pear (with selections Cluj 72-17-64 şi Cluj 72-21-13);
- One Silver Diploma for apples obtained in Cluj-Napoca ecological conditions (for the cultivar Prima, resistant to apple scab).
- International Saloon of Inventions PRO INVENT, Cluj-Napoca, 24-27 Mart 2009:
- Excellence Diploma and PROINVENT Medal granted for new pear cultivar MEDA.
- Excellence Diploma and Silver Medal granted for new pear cultivar LATINA.
- Excellence Diploma granted by Romanian Society of Inventors, for new pear creations MEDA and LATINA.
- International Salon of Inventions PRO INVENT, Cluj-Napoca, 16-19 Mart 2010:
- Golden Diploma and Golden Medal granted for new apple cultivars.
- Golden Diploma and Golden Medal granted for new pear cultivars.
- International Salon of Inventions PRO INVENT, Cluj-Napoca, 22-25 Mart 2011:
- Golden Diploma granted for new pear cultivars: Adria, Primadona, Transilvania.
- Golden Medal granted for new pear cultivars: Adria, Primadona, Transilvania.
- International Saloon of Inventions PRO INVENT, Cluj-Napoca, 27-30 Mart 2012:
- Excelence Diploma and Golden Medal, obtained for new invention.
Participation in scientific events:
- International Symposium Prospects for Agriculture Millennium III USAMV Cluj-Napoca, annually.
- International Symposium 9th International Conference on Grape Genetics and Breeding, Udine, Italy, 2-6 July 2006.
- Romanian Italian Consortium meeting on flowers sector development in Romania, organized by the Italian Society Florconsorzi, Cluj-Napoca, 9-10 December 2006.
- International Scientific Symposium dedicated to the celebration of 100 years of the birth Gherasim Rudi professor (1907-1982), former head of the Department of pomiculture and rector of the Agricultural Institute in Chisinau (1962-1982), Moldova, Chisinau – State Agricultural University of Moldova, Faculty of Horticulture, 28 February-3 March 2007.
- International scientific event 18th Eucarpia Genetic Resources Section Meeting, Plant Genetic Resources and their Exploitation in the Plant Breeding for Food and Agriculture, organized by Eucarpia (European Association for Research on Plant Breeding), Slovakia, Piestany, Research Institute of Plant Production Piešťany 22-28 May 2007.
- International Scientific Symposium “Conservation germplasm in Horticulture: achievements and perspectives”, USAMV – SCDP Cluj, Sept. 2007.
- Modern variety breeding for present and future needs, Proceedings of the 18th EUCARPIA General Congress, 9-12 September 2008, Valencia – Spain.
- First International Symposium on Woody Ornamentals of the Temperate Zone, organized by the Silva Tarouca Research Institute for Landscape Gardening and ornamental and the Ornamentals Section of the International Society for Horticulture Science, 26-30 May 2008, Průhonice, Prague, Czech Republic.
- First International Symposium on Biotechnology of Fruit Species, International Society for Horticulture Science (ISHS), 1-5 September 2008, Dresden, Germany.
- First International Symposium of the FIP ‘Global Strategy for Plant Conservation‘, 13-17 September 2011, Valencia, Spain.
Editorial Board member – journals:
- Notulae Botanicae Horti Agrobotanici Cluj-Napoca (http://www.notulaebotanicae.ro/)
- Notulae Scientia Biologicae (http://notulaebiologicae.ro/nsb/)
- Applied Ecology and Environmental Sciences (http://www.sciepub.com/journal/AEES)
- Journal of Plant Studies (http://www.ccsenet.org/journal/index.php/jps/index)
Detailed CV as PDF pages: Adriana Sestras
Web page: https://adriana.sestras.ro/